Thursday, March 29, 2018

First things first


Here at UCI, it's the end of our winter quarter and the beginning of spring. Time once again to make our term plans.


One thing that I've learned from making plans for a few terms now (although it's very true about weekly and daily plans, too) is that whatever I plan to do FIRST is most likely to get done. Whatever comes first in the day, first in the week, first in the term usually gets done. Whatever comes second . . . meh, it probably gets done. Third is anybody's guess.

I get the feeling that our ancestors understood this. Language blurs the distinction between 'first' in time and 'first' in importance. Take the saying 'first things first.' It must mean we should put the most important thing we have to do first on the list, right? If it doesn't mean that, then it's a circular statement that doesn't mean anything.

And the word priority itself. It comes from prior, meaning earlier or before, right?

All of this gives me the feeling that my grandmother must have understood this basic principle of planning, but somehow I have failed to appreciate its significance until now.

Well, no more! 'First things first' is my new planning motto. I am going to reserve that prime, (prime! Another word meaning 'first'!) first-thing-in-the-morning time for meditation and yoga, followed by writing.

Here's hoping that you, Dear Reader, get your one most important task done today. First things first.

No comments:

Post a Comment